- Job type
- Expiry date
- £0 - reasonable expenses paid
Bromley Peer Support Befriending is recruiting volunteer befrienders to volunteer 1-2 hours per week, and support a local person recovering from mental distress to take part in everyday activities.
Bromley, Lewisham & Greenwich Mind’s Peer Support Befriending in Bromley matches local volunteers with socially isolated people who have experienced mental health problems, including anxiety, depression or trauma. In some cases, volunteers support people who recently left hospital, or have relocated into Bromley borough.
Volunteers meet once or twice a week with the person they are matched with, helping individuals make best use of their local community and services.
Reasons to Become a Volunteer Befriender
Volunteering gives you an opportunity to:
- improve your own self-esteem and mental wellbeing
- access to training
- access volunteer support groups
- volunteer as a path to paid employment with references
- or simply do something meaningful to support people and make a real difference to someone’s wellbeing and quality of life.
This is a great opportunity to make a real contribution to your local community.
What we need from Volunteer Befrienders
We need you to:
- have an understanding of the stresses, pressures, mental and emotional difficulties that make it difficult to be socially active
- have patience and empathy
- be committed to delivering a high quality service
- commit time voluntarily on a regular basis, usually 1-2 hours per week for 1 year
- have a commitment to work with people from all backgrounds with dignity and respect
- have good communication and listening skills
- be willing to learn about and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- attend our induction and training sessions and regular Volunteer Befriender supervision and support meetings
- undertake a full Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and reference checks.
What you can expect from us
As a Volunteer Befriender with us, you can expect:
- induction and ongoing training
- support from the Peer Support Manager
- peer support from other Volunteer Befrienders
- reimbursement of agreed out-of-pocket expenses.
How to Volunteer
We recruit Volunteer Befrienders throughout the year and are always happy to receive applications.
Peer Support Manager
Phone: 07841 206710