- Job type
- Expiry date
- £0 (expenses paid)
Mindful Mums Volunteer Befrienders provide pregnant women and new mums living in the London Borough of Bromley with practical, social and listening support on a one-to-one basis. For example:
- accompanying mums to local groups
- provide non-judgemental space for mums to talk
- assisting with tasks in the home
- signposting to other local services.
Reasons to Become a Volunteer Befriender
As well as contributing your time and experience to improve the lives pregnant women and new mums, befrienders can also increase their own confidence through volunteering, learning new skills and increasing chances of finding work in the future.
Other Mindful Mums volunteers have said they gained a lot from giving back to mums in the local community and felt they were making a real difference. Mindful Mums helps women look after themselves, offering support that is all too often missing in our hectic, modern day lives, where we are often separated from our traditional support networks.
What we need from Volunteer Befrienders
We need you to:
- have an understanding of the stresses, pressures, mental and emotional difficulties that pregnant women and new mums can go through, with your own personal experience
- have patience and empathy
- be committed to delivering a high quality service
- commit time voluntarily on a regular basis, usually 1-2 hours per week over a minimum three month period
- have a commitment to work with people from all backgrounds with dignity and respect
- have good communication and listening skills
- be willing to learn about perinatal mental health, safeguarding children and adults, boundaries and mindfulness
- attend our induction and training sessions and regular Volunteer Befriender team meetings
- undertake a full Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and reference checks.
What you can expect from us
As a Volunteer Befriender with us, you can expect:
- induction and ongoing training
- support from the Mindful Mums Project Worker
- peer support from other Volunteer Befrienders
- reimbursement of agreed out-of-pocket expenses.
How to Volunteer
We recruit Volunteer Befrienders throughout the year and are always happy to receive applications.
Mindful Mums Project Worker
Tel: 07885 975129