- Job type
- Expiry date
- £0 - expenses paid
- Voluntary (expenses paid)
- Minimum of 3-5 hours expected per week on either Wednesday or Thursday
- Around the London Borough of Lewisham
Bromley, Lewisham & Greenwich Mind is a highly regarded, innovative local Charity working alongside people with mental health problems and dementia to improve their quality of life. With an annual turnover of more than £4m, over 150 staff and 200 volunteers, we are one of the largest charities in the Mind network.
Funded by Maudsley Charitable Trust, Engage in ME provides mental health and wellbeing group support to adults from Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities in Lewisham borough. The following aims are:
- Learn how to manage their own mental health and wellbeing
- Find out about and access other relevant, local support services within the community
- Meet, learn and share with other people experiencing mental health difficulties in a welcoming, supportive and understanding place
- Discuss their cultural needs/barriers and how services can support their mental wellbeing better
Working as part of a team you will be helping to run a series of workshops in and around the London Borough of Lewisham. You will encourage and empower individuals who are attending to get involved and contribute as much as possible around their mental wellbeing and for them to get a better understanding about what support is available.
We are looking for volunteers who:
- Have manageable ongoing and/or past lived or other personal experience of mental ill-health
- Have experience or an interest in co-facilitating workshop groups
- Have a good understanding of the experiences of people from Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee communities
We would encourage applications from BAMER communities
You will receive support in your role from a dedicated service coordinator who will offer guidance and training as needed to help you in the role. You will be developing a better understanding about the barriers BAMER communities face, contributing to the community and wellbeing of others. Develop new and rediscover old skills, passions and confidence as well as develop skills in facilitating and supporting community-based workshop groups.
Successful volunteers will be expected to undergo an Enhanced Level Disclosure and Barring Service check.
How to Apply
Please see the attached Role Description and Person Specification, then complete a Volunteer Application Form and email it to: email@example.com
For further information please call: Eleonora 07732 079038 or Smita 07850 639811
9:00am on Monday 23rd March 2020
Likely Interview date
Week commencing 30th March 2020