What We Do
Lewisham Peer Support is a service for adults with experience of mental health problems living in the borough of Lewisham who want to:
- run activity based groups to help others in a similar situation (peers) or
- attend activity based groups to support their own mental wellbeing.
Adults with experience of mental illness who want to contribute to their community and help others can join our group of Peer Support Volunteers (PSVs). PSVs will receive full training and support to run activity group in accessible community venues.
Support for Yourself
Adults wishing to attend a group can join one of our regular groups to learn a new skill, develop social contacts or to maintain their own mental wellbeing.
Why There is a Need?
Lewisham has higher than average rates of mental health problems than the rest of London and England. Peer Support is widely recognised as an effective method of support for anyone experiencing mental distress.
Peer Support provides community led solutions tailored to individual needs of adults with experiencing mental illness. PSVs who run mental health Peer Support activity groups have personal experience of mental illness, support and recovery.
How You Will Benefit
“Through becoming involved in Mind’s Peer Support in Lewisham and setting up the WordCraft Group, I have been supported to access skills that I never realised I had and regain the confidence my mental health problem took away from me.”
Whether you want to be a PSV or attend to a support group, Lewisham Peer Support has something to offer:
- rewarding and meaningful activity where everyone benefits, contributing to the community and wellbeing of others
- develop new and rediscover old skills, passions and confidence
- develop creative and leisure interests
- make new friends
- manage and improve your own mental wellbeing
- develop skills in organising, facilitating and supporting community-based groups
- discover new opportunities to lead a fulfilling life
- gain experience and skills to help you towards employment.
The groups are friendly and welcoming with an atmosphere where everyone contributes and gains.
Address: Lewisham Peer Support,
Bromley, Lewisham & Greenwich Mind, 91 Granville Park, Lewisham, SE13 7DW
Tel: 020 3228 0760
If you want more information about becoming a PSV or attending groups please contact Smita Patel on 07850 639811 or email using the form below: