BAMER Peer Support Groups
Engage in ME
Engage in ME provides mental health and wellbeing support groups to adults from Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and Refugee (BAMER) communities in Lewisham borough to:
- learn how to manage their own mental health and wellbeing
- find out about and access other relevant, local support services
- meet, learn and share with other people experiencing mental health difficulties in a welcoming and understanding place
- discuss their cultural needs and how services can support them better.
Engage in ME sessions are held weekly, for six weeks at a time, in local Lewisham community venues. Each weekly session will last two and a half hours, with breaks and refreshments provided.
Some sessions will also include guest speakers from other local mental health and wellbeing support services.
The groups are for people experiencing low to moderate mental health difficulties.
Week 1: Introduction and focus on Wellbeing
Week 2: Cultural Identity and Wellbeing
Week 3: Understanding Your Mental Health
Week 4: Self-Care
Week 5: Self-Advocacy – how to communicate with others about your health and what support you need
Week 6: Moving Forward
How to Book a Place
Individuals are eligible for Engage in ME workshops if they are:
- aged 18 years or over
- from BAMER (Black Asian Minority Ethnic and Refugee) communities
- live in the London Borough of Lewisham or are registered with a GP in Lewisham
- experiencing low to moderate level mental health difficulties as their main health issue
- able to attend the workshops in person.
Individuals meeting the criteria above and only receiving support from their GP, can contact Engage in ME directly to book a place.
GPs and Other Professionals
GPs and other professionals can refer people who are not accessing secondary mental health services but meet the criteria above to Engage in ME by downloading, completing and returning a referral form.
Eleanora (Wednesdays and Thursdays)